Thursday, July 9, 2009

The Agoura Hillbillies Weigh In

David is a man of few words. He chooses is words carefully, seldom wastes them on chit chat, and when he does say something, you can be sure he mulled over it for a good long time beforehand. Indeed, he has a tendency to analyze all things in life, from the mundane to the great complexities of life. How many people can argue the merits of a good running shoe, and then switch to discussing nuclear arms without missing a beat? I have learned from David that all things in life matter. I always make sure to rinse my can opener after using it, even if just for a can of corn. (G-d forbid David should catch you hurriedly stashing away a used can opener.) I will always thinkof a hand when I arrange my flowers. Even now, in Israel, while hanging up my washings on the clothesline to dry, I think "What would David do?" I imagine David would have a formula as to which would be the proper way todrape the clothing, in order to achieve maximum dryness in the shortest time. I just bet he would. And I would have welcomed his advice.One day we will organize a book chalk full of Davidisms, sort of like Hints from Helouise, only much more realistic.Thanks, David.Love,Linda.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Linda, my name is Lory (Lawrence) Robbin and I was a friend of David's from Cleveland High School in Reseda. I am deeply saddened to learn of David's passing. A beautiful, idiosyncratic, funny, joyful companion. He had quick laugh and an intelligence that would make my head spin.

    I just now happened to think of David, did a search, and came upon this blog.

    Here are some memories starting with high school. I hope they may contribute to your picture of David:
    I lived on Corbin Avenue on the border of Reseda and Canoga Park and David lived in Canoga Park with his father, mother, and brother Johnathan. I spent hours with David after school. His home was a sanctuary for me from my tumultuous family life. We would talk about words, books, ideas with lots of intellectual goofing off.
    Favorite books - Roger Price's "Avoidism", a philosophy for people who troubled with copelessness or the inability to cope. Another favorite was "Three Men in a Boat" by Jerome K Jerome. During class he or I or both of us (I don't remember) would, reading the book under the desk, explode with laughter.

    In David's room (a converted garage) after school, we would make up playful word poems that would start, "Nail, snail, rail, pail, rake, fake, Jake's in Jail." There were jokes we wold invent with nonsense punch lines which we would then tell to unsuspecting listeners. We would laugh at the nonsense punch lines while our puzzled audience would laugh too as they tried to figure it out.

    A decade later I made contact with David, Tammy and the kids when they lived in Berkeley and I lived in Napa. As usual, we talked and hung out. Mostly David talked. And when David talked about abstruse philosophical ideas, I listened and did my best to follow. The family generously included me at seder. I joined the family on a vacation at Lake Tahoe. In those days and earlier in high school, I simply enjoyed hanging around my old friend. His was a safe, stimulating, humorous home. A place of curiosity, family and search and return to roots.

    I lost touch after that. But old memories bubble up every once in awhile. And here we are now me writing this note year after David's passing.
    It is my fervent hope that love of family and friends never dies but somehow goes on forever.

    My condolences to you, Tammy, David's children, grandchildren, and all of David's family and friends.

    If you would like, I have photos of David and family from Berkeley days that I would be happy to share with you.

    Thanks, David...

    - Lory Robbin (lrobbin@sbcglobal.net)

    ReplyDelete